Friday, August 3, 2012

Meandering

Calzone on the bridge...
 Stewart and I left the hotel this morning with the intention of visiting the Accademia, which we did.  A large gallery with many impressive paintings, and a few sculptures, all religious in nature.  Stewart's legs were killing him, so he sat down in every room to look at the work.  I am not that familiar with renaissance and pre-renaissance painters, but had of course heard of Titian.  I was disappointed to find that his work was darker and less alive than some of the others painters in the room.  After leaving the Accademia, we decided to wander in the direction of the Rialto Bridge, and find a vaporetto stop somewhere.  We came across an exhibit of Leonardo da Vinci, and as there were no lineups, went in.  This was housed in a small, old church, so the exhibit wasn't very big.  However, we marvelled again at the genius of the man.  There were several displays that were interactive; in particular, Stewart was impressed with the Archimedes screw.

Leaving the exhibit, we continued walking, and walking...  Finally, following some signs to Piazzale Roma, which I thought would take us to a vaporetto stop, as the Piazzale Roma is the terminus of line 1, we discovered ourselves actually at the Piazzale!  We had walked halfway across Venice, and bypassed not only the Rialto Bridge, but also our hotel.  Consulting the map hadn't helped a whole lot as it isn't always easy to determine where you are on the map.  May I comment that Stewart remains impressed with my navigational skills [sarcasm].



2 comments:

  1. You should try wandering Venice after dark and after a bottle of wine. Now that's adventure! It sounds like Stewart was almost as impressed with your navigation as Nina was with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I went to Venice my travel agent suggested that I should plan to get lost in Venice as I would anyway... everybody gets lost in Venice! I want to go back. ;)

    ReplyDelete